Documentary - Test footage

Test Footage


One area in which I could develop and improve my practice is being more exploratory with different cameras. Prior to this unit, I had the view that DSLR’s were somehow inferior to the XDCAM. (For me, there’s a certain, strange legitimacy to the Sony that is informed only by its size and the “broadcast” look of it) It’s now clear to me that not being open-minded about my options meant that I could easily have ended up with a product that I was unhappy with for this unit.


I initially chose to use the XDCAM as I was familiar with its operation and was confident that I would not face any major obstacles when using it. However, while shooting, I suggested that we set up a secondary DSLR camera to offer coverage options in the edit. When I reviewed this footage, I quickly identified that the DSLR was much more visually interesting and appropriate to the narrative of the story we were telling, allowing for a feeling of intimacy that wasn’t as easily achievable with the Sony.


A still image from the Sony XDCAM footage


A still image from the Nikon DSLR footage


When we went to shoot for a second time, we used only DSLR’s and used a two-camera set-up where possible. This meant that we again had options for coverage that were closer stylistically to the footage we had taken on the DSLR during our first visit, allowing for a consistent style in the final product that added a cinematic quality and upped the production value substantially. 


It’s important to note that while the DSLR was the preferred choice here, there is simply no such thing as a “best option” and that every option comes with many benefits, but also just as many drawbacks. However, with some pre-planning and test shooting, these things become apparent and allow you to make an informed choice. Because of the experience that I had during this unit, I intend to be more open in my approach to shooting in the future and will be sure to discuss recommendations with both teaching and technical staff to help direct my choices, as well as make the most of having access to the equipment that we have in our University store.


A short video here showing the comparison as above:


TEST FOOTAGE COMPARISON



 

Comments

Popular Posts